Posted by Christina Bell, CPA
In an effort to better serve the nonprofit community, the AICPA’s governing Council voted to broaden Section membership requirements for non-CPA Associates. Those who have management or governance responsibilities with respect to a nonprofit, including those who serve as board members or as volunteers, are eligible to join the AICPA as a non-CPA Associate. Once you have joined the AICPA, you can join the Nonprofit (NFP) Section. Current Regular Voting, Associate, and International AICPA members are also eligible to the join the NFP Section.
The AICPA’s NFP Section is a centralized resource supporting NFPs and the professionals that serve NFPs, including managers, board members, and volunteers. Its mission is to deliver information, tools, and resources that facilitate timely compliance with standards and regulations and promote the excellence of members as leaders in the NFP sector. Benefits of joining the NFP section include the following:
- Timely communications covering breaking news. Section members receive e-alerts and access to interactive webcasts covering NFP trends, new guidance, and changes made by standard setters and regulatory agencies.
- A resource library which includes information such as sample financial statements and note disclosures, board governance resources and policy examples, and articles that relate to a variety of issues affecting NFPs.
- Exclusive discounts on high-quality live and on-demand CPE-eligible courses on topics such as NFP accounting, auditing, tax compliance, and board governance The NFP Section also provides 4 free webcasts per year as a benefit. These webcasts are announced in the e-alerts and offered throughout the year.
- Opportunities for peer-to-peer learning and information sharing, both online and in person
- Special discounts on AICPA NFP products and resources including the new Nonprofit Certificate Program. The Certificate Program is designed for CPAs who perform NFP financial reporting and tax engagements as well as staff and board members at small and medium-sized NFPs. More information on the course such as its learning objectives and number of hours can be found on the AICPA website.
Membership costs to join the NFP Section is $199 annually in addition to the normal AICPA membership costs. We encourage you to visit AICPA.org to learn the NFP section and its potential benefits to your organization.